why am I administrator?

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 13:07:00 GMT 2001

Dan Lipofsky wrote:

> I installed the latest cygwin on my Win2000Pro machine.
> I was administrator when I installed it, but I am now
> trying to use it while logged on as dlipofsky.  However,
> cygwin still thinks I am administrator.  How can I fix this?
>
> USER=administrator but USERNAME=dlipofsky.
> USERNAME is set by the OS.  Here is a dump of some enviroment
> variables, from bash and from the DOS prompt respectively.

USER is set in the /etc/profile function by issuing the `id -un`
command.  The id command gets it's name from the associated uid in the
/etc/passwd file.

I can also guess that you are in the local administrator group and
logged on as a domain user.  Upon setup a /etc/passwd file is created
from the local sid.  You need to add your domain sid for your user
account.

Cheers,
Earnie.