values.h / 2

J. J. Farrell jjf@bcs.org.uk
Thu Jan 4 12:42:00 GMT 2001

> From: "Robinow, David" <drobinow@dayton.adroit.com>
>
> > mainly, i'm missing these two identifiers:
> >
> > MINDOUBLE
> > MAXDOUBLE
> >
> > i found a 'values.h' in mingw, but it contains nothing...
> > also the other headers which ar ementioned there didn't contain
> > these identifiers.
> >
> > Is it possible, to include a regular values.h in cygwin?
>
>  I suggest you use DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX from float.h
>
>  I'm not familiar with the various standards
>  controlling this sort of thing, but I'm guessing
>  that values.h can be considered obsolete
>
>  for cygwin  float.h  defines DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX
>
>  My Irix has both float.h and values.h and
>  DBL_MIN = MINDOUBLE

values.h is an old UNIX standard file for these things - it was
documented in issues 1 and 2 of the X/Open Portability Guide.
float.h was standardized in ANSI C in 1989 and had become widely
used before then. values.h was withdrawn from the standard in
issue 3 of the XPG in 1989, and never made it into POSIX at all.

In short, values.h has been obsolete for over 12 years - any code
which wants to be portable should be changed to use the float.h
identifiers instead. If anyone wanted to do it, I can't imagine
any harm in adding a values.h to the cygwin distribution which
#defines the values.h identifiers to their float.h equivalents,
but it would be better if the software which uses values.h were
changed to not do so.