[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic link functionality

David Bolen db3l@fitlinxx.com
Fri Feb 23 11:45:00 GMT 2001

Bernard Dautrevaux <Dautrevaux@microprocess.com> writes:

> Thanks for the fact that now we can follow these using Win native tools,
at
> least to the extent we do not move things around under windows and
rearrange
> mount points for cygwin ;-|

Right, but I think the priorities are right in this approach in that the
Cygwin tools are always fine, and it's just the "foreign" Windows tools that
are at a disadvantage.

> However I don't see any way out of this unfortunately, as in this case the
> DOS and CYGWIN paths get out of sync: we've probably created a new area of
> problems and complains (by newbies or oldies)...

You may be right, but I think it's worth the risk.

One of the things stopping me from using symbolic links in more than
my own development environment is precisely that I've got to work in a
mixed environment (I still use textmode on most of my mounts for the
same reason).  I've got a file distribution tree that I'd love to use
symbolic links on but there are native tools that also have to see
them when validating the tree prior to distribution.

Now I didn't consider this to be Cygwin's fault nor responsibility to
fix, but this change sounds like it's just the ticket!

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /