Optimizing away "ReadFile" calls when Make calls stat()

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Feb 16 01:34:00 GMT 2001

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> If I were porting an old app from unix to cygwin, and wanted to tune
> performance, I'd much rather do this:

Both you and Jonathan have understood my intent perfectly.

Christopher, please do consider this proposal.  It's easy to implement
-- probably just a few tweaks on Egor's patch -- and it makes it easy to
gain performance with straightforward patches to affected programs.
It'd be nice if we can make Cygwin faster, but this proposal has an
inherent advantage: the calling process _knows_ what it wants, whereas
Cygwin can only guess or anticipate.

Egor, Jonathan, maybe some benchmarks would help convince Christopher of
the patch's utility.
= 'Net Address: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent | / \  ASCII Ribbon
= ICBM Address: 36.82740N, 108.02040W, alt. 1714m | \ /  Campaign
=                                                 |  X   Against
= Chance favors the prepared mind.                | / \  HTML Mail