Cygwin for Itanitium (Whistler)

Bob McGowan rmcgowan@veritas.com
Mon Feb 12 11:24:00 GMT 2001

I've seen a problem with running cygwin in the 64 bit environment, too, and I agree, the problem is not in the 32 bit emulation.  The initial bash shell starts and runs
fine, internal commands work as expected.  The problem I'm seeing is when an external command is tried.  The error generated is:

$ ls
97304241 [main] bash 1640 sync_with_child: child 476(0x700) died before initialization with status code 0x80
97305532 [main] bash 1640 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
$

I'm not able to pursue trying to fix this and its not a high priority for me.  But I could spare a cycle or two to help test, if needed.

Tim Prince wrote:

> I thought the problem was in Whistler-64 not supporting enough Windows
> functions, and that had something to do with MKS revoking their
> commitment to port to it.  MKS ksh runs sufficiently to be useful, so
> you can't say the 32-bit mode is totally broken.

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
rmcgowan@veritas.com