firewall ports

Michael Kelley mkelley@nmsu.edu
Wed Feb 7 12:47:00 GMT 2001

Another "free" alternative is Sygate's product
http://sygate.com/
It's not as easy as zonealarm and takes an understanding of your ports to
configure.
But anyone who can handle cygwin can handle sygate's product. I have
noticed a slowing of the system if needed ports aren't open for browser
ads and such but over all I have no real complaints (yet)

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> / "Anon1 Anon2" <anonuc777@hotmail.com> wrote:
> | Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an
> | ipchains or ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low
> | maintenance port filter (I hate zonealarm)
>
> ipchains and ipfwadm relies on functionality in the linux kernel, so I
> don't think it is that easy to do..
>
> If you don't like zonealarm, well get linux going on your machine or
> find another firewall/gateway software for Windows. There are a
> couple, fortunetaly I haven't needed to worry, running linux :-9
>
>         /Andy
>
> --

Michael Kelley
mkelley@nmsu.edu