Bash & cygwin console control

Robinow, David drobinow@dayton.adroit.com
Fri Feb 2 10:49:00 GMT 2001

> From: Matt Minnis [ mailto:mminnis@prefres.com ]
> Is there a way to make the top four lines on the console be
> in a "virtual
> window" so that the scrolling text goes "underneath" the top 4 lines?
> Can this be done with ANSI terminal controls or does this
> need to be done
> by cygwin?
<ESC>[{start};{end}r    is the escape sequence.
  {start} and {end} are line numbers. I'm not sure who supports it.

> I think I remember doing something like this a long time ago,
> when it was
> console or CGA graphics only.
 The above works on DEC VT series terminals. I haven't tried
anything like this lately.
  Normally one uses a seperate window for static info.
> Of course I can't find my code, and ANSI is on the net in too
> many places to get a good search find for this.
 You give up too easy.  Search on "ANSI" + "terminal" + "control".
 You should get mostly useful hits.