one more gpl-violation

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Tue Dec 25 05:55:00 GMT 2001

Hallo Freedict Support, hello Cygwin Support,

I wrote several Emails to convince the Freedict supporter/webmaster to
include a possibility to load down the sources for the Cygwin version which
is included in the zipfile, I asked to remove the cygwin binary from the
package which is available here:
http://www.freedict.de/Windows.html
http://www.freedict.de/download/dictdemo.zip
There is a cygwin1.dll included in the zip, no word mentions Cygwin or
the Cygwin site on this website, there is no link where to get the sources,
no info which version it is even no word that there is a Cygwin binary
included in the zipfile.
The Freedict Webmaster told me that he would be able to send me the sources,
but he didn't do it...
He also told me that there are sources at the Cygwin site available, but
he didn't said which version he used.

The owner and distributor of this package had enough time to remove the binary
or to put up a package with the sources of cygwin.

But nothing happened, no word at the site that there is a cygwin binary in this
package, no word about where to get the sources, I think it is not sufficient
if one gets told to look at the Cygwin site after writing an email to this
support adress.

The `freedict' supporter/webmaster told me that all is correct according to GPL,
but I think he didn't understand what the GPL is saying.

$ ls -R dictdemo/
dictdemo/:
cygwin1.dll*  dd.bat*    dictd.exe*  eng-lat.dict.dz*  eng-rus.dict.dz*  my.conf*
d.bat*        dict.exe*  doc/        eng-lat.index*    eng-rus.index*

dictdemo/doc:
ANNOUNCE*  INITSCRIPT*  README*  dicf.pdf*  dictd.pdf*    security.doc*
COPYING*   INSTALL*     TODO*    dict.pdf*  rfc2229.txt*

I'm no lawyer, so I don't want to talk again with this guy.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                      mailto:gp@familiehaase.de