User context switch in sshd using RSAAuthentication

Ulrich Jakobus u.jakobus@web.de
Thu Dec 6 03:43:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am running a CVS server on a Win2K machine connecting through
SSH, where sshd is a standard installation of CYGWIN (i.e running
under the SYSTEM account as configured by the ssh-config-host
script).

In the file /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-3.0.1p1-2.README it says that
since openssh 2.9 one can also switch user context when using
cygwin 1.3.5 or later. This does not seem to work for me (my
versions are openssh 3.0.1p1-2 and cygwin 1.3.6-4).

For password authentication everything is correct, CVS log messages
are for instance
  date	2001.12.06.10.33.09;	author jakobus;	state Exp;

However, when using the ~/.ssh/authorizedkeys file then CVS also
works, no error messages. But the CVS log files contain
  date	2001.12.06.10.33.09;	author SYSTEM;	state Exp;
i.e. the user SYSTEM appears here.

CYGWIN=NTSEC is used globally, and /etc/group and /etc/passwd were
created with mkpasswd -l and mkgroup -l. Filesystem is NTFS.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Ulrich Jakobus