experimental texmf packages

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 5 15:49:00 GMT 2001

Robert Collins wrote:

> do porting. So the point is that if RPM had been contributed, and you
> maintain *just that one package* as an official package (Hey, Chuck this
> goes for you too :})

Yeah, but I don't have that itch.  Sorry, but I don't really *care*
about rpm itself.  I just liked the multidirectory format it used to
separate the various source code/build "script" pieces, which is why my
original packaging proposal said things like /usr/src/cygwin/SPECS/ and
whatnot.

I also got somewhat frustrated with it about a year ago.  I was working
quite a bit with Michael Ring, who was *supposed* to provide official
dllized ports of berk db, and then provide a port of rpm, but he
wandered off into the weeds and I haven't heard anything about that
since Nov 2000.  He did port some stuff and put it in a private
directory on sourceware in Sep 2000 (check cygwin-apps archive), but
nothing since then...

Anyway, that experience kinda burned me on the whole "hey guys let's all
use rpm" bandwagon...

--Chuck