Q: How do I install the most stable release?

Gary R Van Sickle tiberius@braemarinc.com
Tue Dec 4 08:18:00 GMT 2001

[snip]

> I discovered first that vim (and hence vi) didn't work and later that ssh
> didn't work either (missing crypto DLL, I believe). Different solutions to
> both these problems were found in this mailing list, but I am not overly
> confident that these were the last problems to be found.

No, actually those were the last two.  There's a permanent moratorium on
problems now. ;-)

> Is there any other way to install than installing the latest-and-greatest?
> The latest-and-greatest is of course is a must-have if you need it, but if
> you don't it just throws in noise. Is it possible to install e.g. a six
> month old tagged snapshot, that is known to be missing some of the newest
> features, but is known to be stable all-in-all?

1.  No.
2.  Age does not beget stability in software, but merely oldness.  Do you
have any reason to suspect that Cygwin's vim and ssh of six months ago were
any more "stable" than the current versions?  They weren't; they were merely
less capable, and if anything *less* "stable", and more problematic to
install.  A lot of people have put a lot of work into them (as well as the
rest of Cygwin) in the last six months, and you'll just have to take my word
for it that you don't want to be using six-month-old stuff even if it was
around, which it ain't.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.