cron problems on NT

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Fri Aug 31 08:39:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 08:21:24AM -0700, - - wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Its been a frustrating few weeks getting cron to work for me on my Win NT.
> I've read all the messages of others with the same/similar problems but the
> solutions provided to them don't seem to work for me. I basically get an
> "Access denied" when I do
> % cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron.exe -a -D -e "CYGWIN=tty ntsec"
> % cygrunsrv -S cron
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 5:
> Access is denied.
>
> The only thing that I haven't tried is the comment by Corrina
> "Don't start cron other than under SYSTEM account using uid 18.
> Switching user context needs various user rights only given to
> SYSTEM by default. If you won't do that you'll have to rebuild
> cron using other values."
> My question is
> How do I switch to being a SYSTEM. I am on an NT at work and do not have the
> password for SYSTEM. Or am I missing something? Any help would be

You're missing something. You don't need to switch to SYSTEM
when starting the service. Perhaps I was unclear. If you install
cron by your above `cygrunsrv -I' statement it will get started
under SYSTEM account.

The other problem is, your own account seem to have no privilege
to start a service.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.