competition for HOME environment variable

Jean-Philippe Grivet grivet@cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Aug 23 02:49:00 GMT 2001

I just installed cygwin 1.3.2 under NT4.0 using setup.exe. Everything
went OK, and the install log seems OK too.

I click on the Cygwin icon and type "ls".
Surprise, three files which have nothing to do  with Cygwin are listed:

Scilab.hist, site-lisp, and SITE-LIS.
The first is used by Scilab, a Matlab clone written at INRIA, Paris.
The two others are part of Astex, a french TEX distribution.

I then type "pwd" and read: cygwin/c/ast/astex/emacs. I also discover
that no "home" directory has been created by setup.exe.

Exiting cygwin, I find that a cygwin/c/ast/astex/emacs has indeed just
been created in my Astex directory. If I rename it and reenter cygwin,
this same directory is created anew.

I have tested cygwin software in a very limited fashion (vim and gcc,
mostly) and find that they perform satisfactorily.

My guess is that cygwin, Astex, and Scilab (all ports of Linux programs)
require HOME environment variable.
This was  previously defined in order to use a WIN port of Emacs along
with Astex.

This seems to be confirmed by the cygcheck file which is appended. This
file also contains unwanted references to Borland C directory and files.

So my question is: how can I resolve this conflict betwen two programs
that use the same environment variable ?