Extremely slow file access under bash

Clark, Matthew C (FL51) matthew.c.clark@honeywell.com
Tue Aug 21 07:34:00 GMT 2001

My bash shell had recently shown an extreme delay when doing anything
requiring file access, including ls, cp, mv, etc.  It'll sit there for
over a minute doing then nothing, then executing the task in a flurry,
like some sort of floodgate was holding the task back, then suddenly
opening.

My task manager under NT4sp6a doesn't indicate any runaway process
(cpu usage is <5%), and everything is fine under Windows (explorer
and the command prompt).  So I'm at a loss as to why doing a simple
'ls' takes over a minute to start.  Can anyone clue me in?  Thanks.

Matt Clark