Symbol link trouble ?

Pierre Muller muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Apr 25 03:45:00 GMT 2001

>Aaargh! Really? I don't have any 95 for testing purposes so
>I can't look for this. Did you ever think about upgrading to
>OSR2, 98, ME, NT, W2K? Ok, ok, seriously, if you can't live

OS version is 4.00.950 B
   B means OSR 2, no ?

>with that, you should set your CYGWIN environment variable to
>contain "nowinsymlinks". In that case, the old symlink method
>is used again.

  Adding nowinsymlinks to CYGWIN env variable does
indeed cure the problem !

   I also find this bug quite strange:
the wrong destination to the symbolic link is
kept even if cygwin DLL is unloaded from memory
(at least Taskinfo does not see this file as open anymore !)
Where can this information be kept then ???

Personally I don't care much about having links that are not windows
compatible,
but I would like to have working links.

   I will add CYGWIN=nowinsymlinks
to my startup script for now, but this problem
should be either resolved or this option should become
default for win95 if it is reproduced by others !

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99