Cygwin Python Distribution GPL Licensing Issue?

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Mon Apr 23 08:38:00 GMT 2001

DJ,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:30:10AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> The GPL talks about works, not executables.  It doesn't matter if
> readline.dll is a separate file, it's still part of the same work -
> maybe.  IMHO, the test is this: delete readline.dll and run python.
> Does it run?

Yes.

> Does it function normally?

Yes, albeit without GNU readline support.

> If so, readline.dll isn't
> part of the work.  If not, it's all one work, regardless of how many
> files it is.
>
> If they're separate, the mere aggregation of python.exe and
> readline.dll in the same media (a tarball in this case) is acceptable
> regardless of licenses.

Just be clear, readline.dll is the Cygwin Python readline module
which should not be confused with the Cygwin GNU readline library,
cygreadline4.dll.  However, if I delete either of these files, python
still functions correctly:

    $ python
    Python 2.1 (#1, Apr 17 2001, 09:45:01)
    [GCC 2.95.3-2 (cygwin special)] on cygwin_nt-4.01
    Module readline not available. # <--- *** warning not error ***

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235