How to install (Windows 2000)

Mark Paulus commpg@yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 13:13:00 GMT 2001

Cygwin does run under Win2K Pro (I'm using it right now.)

You should go out to http://www.cygwin.com and get the latest
copy of setup.exe (or use this link:
( http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe )

If you are connected to the internet (either have your modem
already linked, or use an ethernet card/always on via
lan), then I would use Direct Connection.
My favorite mirror tends to be the nasa site.
Then when it presents the list of all programs, select the ones you
want.  Don't do as I did at first and assume the little box is a
check box for what you want.  That check box is for whether
you want the source files (*.c, *.h, *.mak, etc, etc), which
will greatly bloat your install if you don't need them.  You select
what you DON'T want by clicking on the entry in "new" column.  Every
time you click on it, it will cycle to a new option, until you get to
the option to ignore this package.

When you think you have all you need, click next, and everything should
be good to go.....

After that you may need to manually manipulate your path statement to
get the command line utilities to work in your regular command window.

HTH....