ntsec environment variable

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Apr 18 01:02:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:16:52AM -0400, Christopher Dale Campbell wrote:

> I'm part of the 'Power Users' group, but not the Administrators'
> (although it's my computer and I have Admin access, this is just my
> regular user account).  After `chown -R dale.None .` and `chmod -R
> u+rwx .` (executed in ~) my home directory permissions are:

[SNIP]
> Note sure if any of this info helps.  All of the permissions appear
> to be the same.  Should I execute the chown and chmod commands logged
> in as Administrator?

That's the point. Users only can use chown if they have the user
right "Restore files and directories". That right is only given to
the groups "Administrators" and "Backup Operators" by default.
That's ...similar... to Unix systems.

And chmod is ok to use for all users as long as they have the
permission to do so. But my instruction was buggy. Ok, *sic*,
try that:

chmod 755 .
chmod -R 755 bin
find learn_c src -type d | xargs chmod 755
find learn_c src tmp -type f | xargs chmod 644

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.