passwd - user unknown / no telnet access

Andreas Schlager aschlager@kaindl.com
Tue Apr 17 23:58:00 GMT 2001

Hi list,

I've searched almost tons of help material and howtos about my problem, but I
cant't find a solution.

I've installed CYGWIN on a NT 4.0 SP6a (german version). I was running the
'mkpasswd -d' and the 'mkgroup -d' command. I've run the 'iu-config' command to
setup up inetd.conf. I've copied /etc/services from windows.
BUT:
When I run the passwd-command ('passwd' or 'passwd userxx'), there comes the
'unknown user userxx' message.
I think, this is the problem because I've no telnet access (I get a login-
prompt, but i cannot login with a correct user/password).
Maybe I have to set the CYGWIN ENV-Variable?? But: Where to set? (in Windows or
in a CYGWIN-shell? Which value?)

Please help!

Tnx.

Andy.