Postgres 7.1RC4 ecpg can't find sqlca

Michael Lemke lemkemch@t-online.de
Fri Apr 13 14:02:00 GMT 2001

With the latest postgres release that came lately with cygwin I made my
very first attempt at writng an ESQL program (actually, at the moment it
is just something I dowloaded).  Now when I link it can't find sqlca:

michael> gcc -I /usr/include/postgresql/  esql.c -lecpg -lpq
/f/cygwin~1/tmp/ccbnOeiG.o(.text+0x203):esql.c: undefined reference to `sqlca'
/f/cygwin~1/tmp/ccbnOeiG.o(.text+0x292):esql.c: undefined reference to `sqlca'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

ecpg made the declaration of sqlca

  extern struct sqlca sqlca;

I recompiled postgres and skipped stripping of the libraries.  Then I find sqlca in
ecpg.dll:

michael> nm /usr/bin/ecpg.dll | grep sqlca
c0586864 T _init_sqlca
c0587000 D _sqlca
c05870b0 d _sqlca_init

but not in libecpg.a:

michael> nm /usr/lib/libecpg.a | grep sqlca
00000000 I __imp__sqlca
00000000 I __imp__init_sqlca
00000000 T _init_sqlca

Any ideas?