contribution soapbox(was Re: G++ guru's please comment - Re: FW: pthread_create problem in Cygwin 1.1.8-2])

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Mon Apr 9 20:59:00 GMT 2001

<snip>
> thin a layer
> > cygwin is over win32 - it's hardly there at all. So I threw out the
> > win32 threads code, and fixed up what was missing in
> Cygwin. That core
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is there a code audit of these "contributions" to Cygwin? Can
> *anybody*
> get in there and "commit" code/patches?
> --
> -duke
>
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm not quite sure why you quoted the word contributions. I wrote the
code, and contributed it to Redhat for inclusion in cygwin. I'm not a
committer - I only have read only access to the CVS repository. The same
level of access you do. ALl my contributions get reviewed by Chris
before being committed. As for the "core team" (I don't know the correct
label), who can commit into the CVS repository, I believe that Chris
reviews post-commit what went in. Certainly, on this very list,
alterations have been discussed and even reversed.

The fact that my sample code was bad was due to the fact that I'd
literally drafted it 10 minutes before, and hadn't sat down and done my
first self-review.

If you're interested in the cygwin code quality, you can subscribe to
the cygwin-cvs mailing list and see for yourself.

Rob