Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Thu Sep 28 14:15:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 05:00:17PM -0400, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
>Thanks for all the replies. None solved it.
>Let me cut to the chase with the problem that more resembles my problem:
>
>Using Cygwin 1.1.4.
>I'm on C: drive, an NTFS partition.
>CYGWIN is set to "binmode ntea"
>I do not have McAfee anti-virus software running.
>my machine has been rebooted and am in a fresh window.
>

>This is my script called dog.sh and has been chmod to 777.
>
>    #!/bin/sh.exe
>    #
>    echo "Hello"
>    echo $0
>    eval "exec perl -S $0 "            <------- problem line
>        if $avariablenotdefined;
>    print "GoodBye";
>

>When I execute  this script, I get an error:
>
>    $ c:/dog.sh
>    Hello
>    c:/dog.sh
>    Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.
>
>Why is Cygwin exec'ing /bin/sh.exe when it should be exec'ing perl?
>And why can't Cygwin exec /bin/sh.exe anyways?

The "Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1" message is coming from
*perl*.  You're not running a cygwin version of perl so it doesn't know
how to find /bin/sh.exe.

This really should be a FAQ, I suppose, if it isn't already.

cgf