Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.

Guy T. Moore Jr. gmoore@openmarket.com
Thu Sep 28 13:57:00 GMT 2000

Thanks for all the replies. None solved it.
Let me cut to the chase with the problem that more resembles my problem:

Using Cygwin 1.1.4.
I'm on C: drive, an NTFS partition.
CYGWIN is set to "binmode ntea"
I do not have McAfee anti-virus software running.
my machine has been rebooted and am in a fresh window.

This is my script called dog.sh and has been chmod to 777.

    #!/bin/sh.exe
    #
    echo "Hello"
    echo $0
    eval "exec perl -S $0 "            <------- problem line
        if $avariablenotdefined;
    print "GoodBye";

When I execute  this script, I get an error:

    $ c:/dog.sh
    Hello
    c:/dog.sh
    Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.

Why is Cygwin exec'ing /bin/sh.exe when it should be exec'ing perl?
And why can't Cygwin exec /bin/sh.exe anyways?

If I remove the #!bin/sh.exe from the script, I then get a different error
cause Cygwin cannot determine that this file is executable:

$ c:/dog.sh
bash: c:/dog.sh: No such file or directory.

Hence my first problem, I emailed about.

Help!