gcc-2.96 progress

Tim Prince tprince@computer.org
Tue Sep 19 21:34:00 GMT 2000

I've been testing gcc-2.96 snapshots, mostly on cygwin, for quite a while, and yesterday's version provides a satisfactory g77 for
the first time in many months.  A noticeable difference is that the options -Os and -O2 at last live up to their intentions; -O2 is
as fast as anything and -Os produces smaller code.  I'm not so impressed with the reliability of the gcc or g++ compilers, given the
inability to complete a bootstrap and the number of make check failures in g++ and its libraries, but it does look like progress.
g77 runs make check and many other tests with the same result as on linux, aside from the continued habit of dejagnu of running the
tests twice.

I've made a long overdue revision of the procedure description for building gcc on cygwin, at
http://members.aol.com/n8tm/cygwingccg77.htm If anyone has ways to make it better, please let me know; there's much room for
improvement.  Yes, I know the reasons why some of the steps I had to take aren't recommended.  But anyway, gcc/g77 performs in the
same league with the Compaq, Intel, and Lahey compilers on my T20 laptop, and the cygwin and gcc developers deserve a great deal of
credit.