chdir through symlinks

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Thu Sep 7 14:17:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 10:41:36PM +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
>Hi!
>
>the following script

>#!/bin/sh
>cd /tmp
>ln -s /usr test-link
>cd test-link
>cd ..
>ls
>
>lists  contents  of  /tmp under cygwin, and contents of / on linux and
>FreeBSD boxes i can access. is cygwin behavior correct?

Cygwin changed recently to fix the "find in root fails" problem but
in the process the semantics of '..' changed as you've noted.

It's not impossible to get cygwin working the same way as linux but
it adds code to a time critical section of path handling so I've
been loathe to do that.

My recent cleanup of cwd handling may make this easier though.

cgf