SSH 2.2.0p1 not working on Windows2000

Janardhan Kakarla jkakarla@yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 10:52:00 GMT 2000

I am relatively new to Cygwin and SSH and am trying to
make ssh work for me on Windows2000 with very little
success. Any help is really appreciated. Following is
the summary of the steps that I took in setting up
cygwin and ssh.

- Installed cygwin 1.1.4 for the first time on a
pretty much "virgin" Windows2000 machine.
- Cygwin installed great. Started working without a
glitch.
- Modified the /etc/passwd file to list the correct
user home directory.
- Untar'ed SSH 2.2.0p1 and ran
/usr/local/bin/ssh-config. It asked for passphrase and
everything seemed to work ok.
- exported CYGWIN="ntsec binmode". Decided to run sshd
in a simple command-line environment. Started sshd
with -d option.
- started another cygwin shell, exported CYGWIN var
and started ssh with -v option and it complained that
I was not authorised after getting my password. (I
have included the messages at the end of this mail).
- I changed sshd_config and ssh_config to not do RSA
or rhosts authentication, but just
PasswordAuthentication, changed the protocol to be
"2,1" and stared sshd and ssh again and got the same
errors.

Please help. Am I supposed to do something more.

Thank you,
Jan

$ ./sshd -d
debug: sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Seeding random number generator
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging
mode.
Connection from 192.168.1.130 port 2129
debug: Client protocol version 2.0; client software
version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: send KEXINIT
debug: done
debug: wait KEXINIT
debug: got kexinit: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug: got kexinit: ssh-dss
debug: got kexinit:
3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc
hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com
debug: got kexinit:
hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: none
debug: got kexinit: none
debug: got kexinit:
debug: got kexinit:
debug: first kex follow: 0
debug: reserved: 0
debug: done
debug: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT.
debug: bits set: 507/1024
debug: bits set: 537/1024
debug: sig size 20 20
debug: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: GOT SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: KEX2.
debug: userauth-request for user john service
ssh-connection method none
Failed none for john from 192.168.1.130 port 2129 ssh2
debug: userauth-request for user john service
ssh-connection method password
Failed password for john from 192.168.1.130 port 2129
ssh2
debug: userauth-request for user john service
ssh-connection method password
Failed password for john from 192.168.1.130 port 2129
ssh2
debug: userauth-request for user john service
ssh-connection method password
Failed password for john from 192.168.1.130 port 2129
ssh2
Connection closed by 192.168.1.130
debug: Calling cleanup 0x411e9c(0x0)
$ ./ssh -v -l john localhost
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions
1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data
/usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 1000 anon 1
debug: Connecting to localhost [192.168.1.130] port
22.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software
version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: send KEXINIT
debug: done
debug: wait KEXINIT
debug: got kexinit: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug: got kexinit: ssh-dss
debug: got kexinit:
3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc
debug: got kexinit:
3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc
debug: got kexinit:
hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com
debug: got kexinit:
hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: zlib,none
debug: got kexinit: zlib,none
debug: got kexinit:
debug: got kexinit:
debug: first kex follow: 0
debug: reserved: 0
debug: done
debug: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: Sending SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT.
debug: bits set: 537/1024
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY.
debug: Got SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY.
debug: Host 'localhost' is known and matches the DSA
host key.
debug: bits set: 507/1024
debug: len 55 datafellows 0
debug: dsa_verify: signature correct
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: GOT SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: KEX2.
debug: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password
debug: key does not exist: /.ssh/id_dsa
john@localhost's password:
debug: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password
Permission denied, please try again.
john@localhost's password:
debug: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password
Permission denied, please try again.
john@localhost's password:
debug: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password
Permission denied (publickey,password).
debug: Calling cleanup 0x413444(0x0)