non latin file names?

Chris Abbey cabbey@chartermi.net
Tue Oct 24 17:48:00 GMT 2000

At 10:22 10/24/00 +0400, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
>Our good fellas in ASCII world are _very_ lucky to not have this problem.

yup. but even still, we're in better shape than those poor ebcdic
souls. ;)

>I beg your pardon, but iconv has very little to do with it. iconv is just a
>standalone program, that translates between different charsets. Most probably,
>it will compile OOTB. It's not going to help you with ls problem. What I was
>talking about, was different implementations of locale support in cygwin
>"kernel" or run-time. So, that _every_ program that is written with locale
>support in mind (i.e. is using ctype functions at the very least), would work
>correctly.

no, no, no, no. we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking
about libiconv the International CONVersion library. GNU's impl
is called gconv. It's function is dealing with exactly this king of
thing, at the runtime level. In other unix platforms iconv is part
of the underlying locale functions... it's the code that is responsible
for converting from native code page to UCS2 for example, from KOI-8
to EBCDIC-INT1 (aka IBM038). (mind you... for that particular pair
I suspect you'll just get a LOT of question marks ;)

(btw, the iconv program you're referring to is nothing more than a
test interface into the iconv library, or in the case of linux,
the gconv library.)