setup choices screen questions

Chris Abbey cabbey@bresnanlink.net
Fri Oct 20 21:41:00 GMT 2000

ok, I've been playing around with setup lately and I think I understand
the interface... but there are still some things that it's trying to tell
me, but I just don't get it (from the GUI).

For reference I'm using the *current* setup.exe, just downloaded in the
last half hour to verify that nothing has changed. I use setup in a two
step process... first run it on my fileserver to download the most current
images to the local directory, then mount that from other machines and run
setup to install from "local" directory. The download part is what I'm
trying to understand....

let's take ash for example... in my local directory I have ash-20000823
and it came up showing 20001012, so clearly it's trying to tel me that
there is a new build of ash available. Neither prev, curr, or exp views
change the line for ash. My options for ash are "skip" and 20001012.

now let's compare that to inet-utils... locally I have inetutils-1.3.2-6
and it shows me that in the "Current" column and then there is an arrow
pointing to the "New" column which shows 1.3.2-7 (curr or exp views; prev
view shows keep). My options are keep, 1.3.2-7, and Uninstall.

Now let's compare bash... locally it's 2.04-1, "New" is 2.04-3 in
curr or exp view, skip in prev view. My options for bash are 2.04-3
and skip.

In all three cases the local version is the one installed on the system,
and the only one in the install/latest/ directories. So what is special
about these three that they each have different representations? (actually
they're representatives... there are a couple in each category) Why
do some have a Current version listed and others don't? Why does one have
an arrow? why do some have keep, and others have uninstall, and some
don't?