getopts in functions

Chet Ramey chet@nike.ins.cwru.edu
Wed Oct 18 07:42:00 GMT 2000

> Should getopts work correctly in functions? I find if I try that if I
> get an error processing the options, then retry the function, it seems
> to get confused.
>
> Do I have to do something explicit to reset getopts?

Yes.  The bash manual page says

	The shell does not reset OPTIND automatically; it must be
	manually reset between multiple calls to getopts within the
	same shell invocation if a new set of parameters is to be used.

`Resetting OPTIND' means to assign it the value 1.

( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet)

Chet Ramey, CWRU    chet@po.CWRU.Edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/