Python threads under Cygwin

jurgen.defurne@philips.com jurgen.defurne@philips.com
Tue Oct 17 06:41:00 GMT 2000

I do not know of any one has done or needed this :

I run Python under Cygwin. The standard Cygwin thread support
doesn't provide the features necessary to compile Python with
thread support.

Yesterday, when trying to build the Jabber server, I stumbled upon
GNU Pth (the portable thread library). This compiles out of the box
under Cygwin, and configuring with --enable-pthread gives
pthread support. I install this with the standard prefix /usr/local.

Configuring Python 1.5.2 with thread support is easy,
in Modules/Setup thread, modify the line 'thread' to

thread threadmodule.c -lpthread -lpth

Then 'make' Python. The library passes the regression tests.

Jurgen