RFC: linux compatibility

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@cygnus.com
Mon Oct 16 08:54:00 GMT 2000

Tom Hutto wrote:

> Hmm,  back in the 'good old days' we used to write "self modifying"
> assembler code to take care of this kind of problem.  Guess you could do
> the same in C; just copy the appropriate struct into the exports area?

I just recalled another way of dealing with that. Does anybody remember
good ol' days when some vendors had so called `universes' in their UNIX
system? The user could change between them by universe(1):

	universe att

or

	universe bsd

or (on Siemens systems)

	universe sie

which started a new shell in the corresponding universe. So we define

	universe lin

and

	universe cyg

and all our problems will disappear at once! :-)

Corinna