Building C-Kermit (6.0.192) with Cygwin 1.1

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Sun Oct 8 10:34:00 GMT 2000

At 07:01 PM 10/7/2000, Jeff wrote:
>On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:11:01 -0400, Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 10:48:59AM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> >
> >>Which of the makefile targets work best?  I tried modifying the linux
> >>target, and get:
><big snip>
>
> >Why does this explain anything?  I don't see any hint of a "u_long" in this.
> >Cygwin defines u_long in /usr/include/sys/types.h just like most other
> >UNIX systems.
>
>Thanks, that solved *that* problem-- I copied the typedef to the top of
>the .c file, and *that* module built without error.  The next one died
>with some other error, but for the same reason: Things are being left
>out that should be in, or v.v.  C-Kermit has so many cross-referenced
>#ifdef's, #ifndef's, (lines upon lines of "#ifdef WHATEVER; #define
>THIS; #undefine THAT:...) and #include's pointing back and forth across
>different files that it is really not possible for me to tell what's
>happening.
>
>So, I'm back to my original question:  Which of the makefile targets
>work best?  When presented with a package that has very system-specific
>targets, which is best?  Which flavor of Unix does Cygwin most
>resemble?  Linux?  FreeBSD?  Or maybe a more general target, if
>available, such as BSD or System5R4?  Or-?  C-Kermit has never failed
>to build and run "straight out of the box" when it was obvious which
>makefile target to use.
>
>Thanks again for your help,
>
>Jeff

Sorry but that's just not an easy question to answer.  You're best bet if
you want to find out relative to C-Kermit is to try one.  Better yet, if
C-Kermit comes with configure (I know nothing about C-Kermit), why not just
run that?  Cygwin is probably close to Linux or FreeBSD but that means
little in terms of getting any particular package to build, since Cygwin
has to live within the confines of Win32.  Still, if this is the route you'd
like to pursue, I'd recommend starting with one of these systems.  I doubt
that most on the list would consider this a "supported" approach to a port
of C-Kermit to Cygwin though...

Good luck,