inetd, rlogin on W95

Bjoern Kahl AG Resy kahl@informatik.uni-kl.de
Thu Nov 23 08:55:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

 Hallo !

> > I had one complaint (remember - W95) The user who logs in (with his/her
> > name and password) is ignored and the UID s/he gets is MINE. This may
> > be irrelevant for file ownership but it is very important when this user
> > do an rlogin to another (trusted) machine. There should be a way that
> > Cygwin will has its own UID independent of the Windoz OS.
>
> That's not a point for the Cygwin core developer team. Remember,
> you're on W9x so you don't have real security at all. However,
> if somebody want's to contribute...

 I have something like that nearly finished on my harddisk.
 (Wrote it for my personal use, based on CVS from 20.Oct.2000)

 Of course only for Win95 ( if (os_being_run != winNT) ... )

 Unfortunatly, I dont have the time to finish it. The only
 thing still broken is setuid() in exec()-call
 (Yes, I also did a quick-and-dirty unix filepermission hack)

 An other problem: I still have to carefully evaluate redhats
 copyright-assignment. After a first short look, I dont like it.
 To me, it looks like the wrong way around, but that is OT here.

 Greetings

 Bjoern