OpenGL packaging

Andre Bleau andre.bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca
Fri Nov 17 07:53:00 GMT 2000

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It is currently --prefix=/usr/local (this is the default for configure).  All
>packages distributed via setup need to be `configure --prefix=/usr'.
>
>HTH,
>
>=====
>Earnie Boyd

"configure" is not used to package OpenGL, so I don't understand your point.

The include files cannot be in /usr/include/GL, because they would mask
files in /usr/X11R6/include/GL. There is experimental support of OpenGL
programs via XFree; if someone wants to build an X11/OpenGL program, he has
to compile with -I/usr/X11R6/include; if he prefers to build a Win32/OpenGL
program, he has to compile with -I/usr/local/include. If I take the
/usr/include/GL spot for the Win32/OpenGL package, my include files will be
used independently of -I options, as files in /usr/include have priority
over those in directories specified by -I; that would make life harder for
programmers wishing to experiment with X11/OpenGL. Conversely, if the
maintainer of XFree was placing his include files in the /usr/include/GL
spot, his include files would be used independently of -I options and
programs compiled with his include files but using Win32/OpenGL would not
link. So I don't take the /usr/include/GL spot and the the XFree maintainer
doesn't take it, so programmers have a choice.

The X11 and Win32 include files are incompatible because they specify
different calling conventions. The Win32 OpenGL DLL is supplied by M$, so I
can't change the calling convention of its functions.

That's the story.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School