Why doesn't bash read my .bashrc file on startup?

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 09:07:00 GMT 2000

This is an old FAQ entry:

Q. Why doesn't bash read my .bashrc file on startup?

A. Your .bashrc is read from your home directory specified by the HOME
   environment variable. It uses /.bashrc if HOME is not set. So you
   need to set HOME correctly, or move your .bashrc to the top of the
   drive mounted as / in Cygwin.

Now that HOME is set in a default setup, this shouldn't come up,
right?  At least not "frequently".

I think the FAQ is too big (and it will get even bigger soon), and I
suspect it's difficult to find what you're looking for, so I'm
inclined to prune it wherever possible.

Thanks for any advice/opinions on the matter.

Cheers,
David (Cygwin FAQ maintainer)