FW: Can not config sshd

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri May 26 07:29:00 GMT 2000

--- Prentis Brooks <prentis@aol.net> wrote:
> I have not defined this user's home dir in the environment, only in
> /etc/passwd.... if there is no home dir defined in ENV, does it default to
> //?

No, bash defaults HOME to / and then that get's prepended to the path name
after it resolves the tilde character ~ sor ~/myfile bcomes //myfile.  Now the
problem with //myfile is that // is translated to \\ and \\myfile as a server
doesn't exist.  The time it takes to eventually time out is directly related to
the number of domains your associated with * the timeout period * the number of
retries.  This is the reason we now have /cygdrive instead of using // to
denote an unmounted device/directory.

Cheers,

=====
---