inetutils-1.3.2-2 on Cygwin 1.1.1

Andrea Malagoli a-malagoli@uchicago.edu
Sun May 21 22:25:00 GMT 2000

Hi,
I am running Cygwin 1.1.1 on a Thinkpad 600 with
Windows 2000. Things
work fine for the most, but I am still struggling
to get inteutils to work appropriately.
I have installed inetutils-1.3.2-2 that come as
part of the 1.1.1 distribution.
I have applied all the necessary modifications to
the users accounts (the requires
changes in security settings), and I have checked
pretty much most of the
instructions. The results are as
follows:

1) login - works fine.
2) telnet - works fine, except that it does not see
CYGWIN, and it does not

source .basrch, so that part of the PATH is not set correctly.
3) ftp - does not work. After the prompt for the
username, it fails with a
          "User xxxx access
denied", even before the prompt for the password appears.
4) rsh - does not work. A call to "rsh localhost
ls" returns a "host address mismatch"
           for the
machine.
5) rlogin - it works, but the environment has the
same problem as for telnet.

Note that I had disabled the Windows telnetd and
ftpd equivalent services, in order to
make sure that the appropriate services are used. I
am using a FAT32 file system.

I can use any other suggestion, since I am short of
options at this moment.

Thanks in advance.

- Andrea Malagoli
  University of Chicago