Problems with the latest inetd/telnetd

Nicholas Sushkin nick_sushkin@scientist.com
Wed May 17 15:16:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

I used to have a working telnetd with cygwin-b20 and srvany. Now I
completely reinstalled cygnus with from the "latest" and installed Cygwin
inetd using inetd --install-as-service. I can't log in to any account, I go
through user/password prompt fine, but it doesn't seem to start the shell.
Instead,
telnetd closes the connection. There are no entries in the event log.

I made sure that /bin/sh exists by copying bash.exe into sh.exe. Also, my U-
entry seems fine and I tried with and without it. Anyway, the authentication
doesn't seem to be a problem because I don't get "login incorrect", I only
get "connection closed"

What could be the problem?

I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Nick.

bash-2.03$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to wl1devas1.
Escape character is '^]'.

CYGWIN_NT-4.0 1.1.1(0.20/3/2) (wl1devas1) (tty0)

login: nsushkin
Password:
Connection closed by foreign host.