multi-line #defines

Mark Schoenberg mark@emmestech.com
Wed May 17 11:35:00 GMT 2000

     After doing a complete install after latest included the 1.1.1 cygwin1.dll
upgrade, I found I had problems compiling a simple windows C++ program, which
did little more than call up a DialogBox with two Buttons.  That problem did
not exist in B20.1 or 1.1.0.

     The problem on my machine (Win98) was that the compiler didn't seem to
recognize or like multiple line #defines, which could be found in files like
reent.h, winnt.h, etc.  An error message of "stray \ in program" was generated.
Removing the continuation back-slashes simply caused other error messages since
the multi-line #define still was not recognized.  The solution on my machine
was to remove both the "\" and the following linefeed, i.e. to create a long,
but one-line #define.

     Is this a problem for anyone but me?  Is there a patch/upgrade?  Is there
a work-around?  I am nervous that other machines may not like the very long
lines that I am using with my "fix".