man pages with weird characters

David O'Shea david@ems.uq.edu.au
Thu May 11 20:35:00 GMT 2000

Dear Barry,

> I had the same problem (on Win98).  I found one old mailing list post
> < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1998-11/msg00686.html > recommending
> exporting the following variables.
>
> export LESSCHARDEF=8bcccbcc18b95.33b33b.
> export LESSBINFMT='*n-'
>
> It worked for me.  Does anyone have a feel for which is a better solution?

That seems like a bit of a kludge to me - it tells less to display a "-"
character whenever there's a non-ASCII character in the text.  Sometimes
it might be useful to know when there are non-ASCII characters in there,
and you might want to see the <XX> code.  Handy if you're making a man
page the night before your assignment is due and you've never done it
before, but this probably doesn't apply to too many people :) (if I'd
thought about it, I would have done it in plain text, gzipped it, and said
it was a catman page)

David