missing prototypes in io.h

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Fri Mar 31 12:41:00 GMT 2000

Jimen Ching <jching@flex.com> writes:

> So you are suggesting I either; 1. compile the library with mingw32 or 2.
> modify the library to include unistd.h and compile with non-mingw32?
>
> In short, you are saying that I can not compile a Win32 library and/or
> application using the non-mingw32 gcc.  Is this correct?  I was under the
> assumption that the --no-cygwin32 was to disable linking in the UNIX
> layer.  It was not intended to allow compiling Win32 source code without
> modification.  The latter is what I am trying to do.
>
> Let me know if this is the case, and I'll notify the library vendor.

Sorry, but I don't know what you're asking. Are you building a Mingw
application or a Cygwin application?

You can compile for Mingw32 in one of two ways:

1. Use a Mingw native compiler, or,
2. Use Cygwin compiler using -mno-cygwin mode.

Either way, it's a Mingw application, and *not* a Cygwin application. In
(2), you're using Cygwin as a cross-compilation environment for Mingw,
and you should *never* include Cygwin headers nor should you link with
Cygwin libraries.

My mno-cygwin howto provides some insights into this issue.

If you're trying to come up with a way to "mix and match" Cygwin and
Mingw runtime, that's not doable, sorry. For example, the semantics
of "pipe" is completely different between the runtimes; mkdir takes
two args in Cygwin/Unix/POSIX, and one in Mingw; the list goes on.

I have a feeling I'm not answering your question, but then again, I don't
know what your question is.

Regards,
Mumit