Open file limit

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sun Mar 19 12:23:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 11:28:42AM +1030, Stephen Davies wrote:
>I have seen this question several times but have never seen an answer.
>
>How does one increase the 20 open file limit set by cygwin gcc headers and
>presumably reflecting some system limit?

I guess I have finally seen this complaint enough to investigate.

Consider this program:

#include <stdio.h>
int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  int i;
  for (i = 0; i < 100; i++)
    {
      FILE *f = fopen("/dev/null", "r");
      if (!f)
	break;
      printf("%d\n", i);
    }
  exit(0);
}

When I run it, I see numbers up to 99.  That means that there is no
20 open file limit, AFAICT.  Maybe this is just in recent snapshots.

If so, it will be fixed in the next release.

cgf