Subshells don't respect CYGWIN settings with latest snapshots?

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Mon Mar 13 17:45:00 GMT 2000


I'm sorry to say that I can't duplicate this behavior.  Maybe I just
don't have a proper tar file or maybe my version of bash works differently.

I did check the "binmode" setting of a bash that was running in an rxvt
invoked from another bash and the the cygwin=binmode setting was propagated.

cgf

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 06:51:06PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>(Sorry if this is a duplicate; my regular ISP is on the ORBS list right
>now...sigh...and I'm not sure if the first one made it)
>
>If I try to unpack a .tar.gz file with 'CYGWIN=nobinmode ntea tty' using
>a pipe, I get an error -- this is the expected behavior (if the
>tar-stream has binary characters..?).
>
>/usr/local/src/redhat/SOURCES/tmp > gzip -cd DelimMatch-1.04.tar.gz |
>tar xf -
>tar: Skipping to next file header
>tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary
>tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
>However, if my global environment settings contain 'CYGWIN=binmode ntea
>tty', then the first rxvt/bash window I open works thusly:
>
>/usr/local/src/redhat/SOURCES/tmp > echo $CYGWIN
>tty ntea binmode
>/usr/local/src/redhat/SOURCES/tmp > gzip -cd DelimMatch-1.04.tar.gz |
>tar xvf -
>DelimMatch-1.04/
>DelimMatch-1.04/DelimMatch.pm
>DelimMatch-1.04/Makefile.PL
>DelimMatch-1.04/MANIFEST
>DelimMatch-1.04/README
>DelimMatch-1.04/test.pl
>
>Then, I start a subshell: in the first rxvt/bash window, I execute: rxvt
>-e bash &. In the new bash window:
>
>/usr/local/src/redhat/SOURCES/tmp > echo $CYGWIN
>tty ntea binmode
>/usr/local/src/redhat/SOURCES/tmp >  gzip -cd DelimMatch-1.04.tar.gz |
>tar xvf -
>DelimMatch-1.04/
>DelimMatch-1.04/DelimMatch.pm
>tar: Skipping to next file header
>tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary
>tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
>I see this behavior with the 20000311, 20000306, 20000228, 20000131,
>20000106, and 19991124 snapshots. What's going on, anyone got a clue?

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to cygwin-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com



More information about the Cygwin mailing list