Default mount point and directory structure in cygwin archives

Andrej Borsenkow Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru
Thu Jul 27 06:43:00 GMT 2000

When I installed, it created mount points /usr/lib->/lib and /usr/bin->/bin.
The "real" /cygwin/usr/{bin,lib} are empty.

All cygwin archives are in "usr/..." hierarchy. It means that if I try to
simply unpack them under Windows using WinZIP or whatever, I drop them into
.../usr/{bin,lib}, but they both are hidden when cygwin is started. It is not
always possible to unpack them under Cygwin (I cannot overwrite currently used
files; that applies to cygwin1.dll in the first place).

Suggestion - change default mount points to /bin->/usr/bin and /lib->/usr/lib.
That will allow to unpack archives both under Cygwin and Windows.

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>