"Invalid token in expression" error

Patrick Doyle wpd@delcomsys.com
Mon Jul 17 10:42:00 GMT 2000

I have a philosophical question about the current net release.  I
installed the new net release shortly before I left for vacation a month
ago, came back in, and remembered all of the problems I was having
before I left.  It appears that the latest net release has changed some
combination of programs such that I can no longer compile source code
that has been saved in MS-DOS (i.e. CRLF) format.  OK.  Yes, I know that
theoretically, I could remount / in MSDOS mode and that this problem
will likely go away, but I am wondering:

1) If I do that, what will break instead?

2) Why the change in philosophy?  Previous versions of the tools from
Cygnus allowed me to freely intermix DOS and UNIX text source files.

3) Does anybody know why this policy has changed?

The specific problem I reference in my "Subject" line appears to be that
the C preprocessor is choking on a line of the form:

#define THIS \
THAT

The preprocessor apparently doesn't like to see a backslash followed by
CR (it's much happier with a backslash followed by a newline).

4) Shouldn't the preprocessor open its input file in TEXT mode instead
of BINARY mode?

Thanks for any answers.  I will summarize and post answers to the list
if I receive any (and they are not already cross-posted to the list).

--wpd