newcomer question

Stephan Grill sgrill@acm.org
Mon Jul 17 06:35:00 GMT 2000

I installed Cygwin on WinNT (SP3) using the setup.exe program and almost everything worked fine.

The only thing not working as I'm expecting is that many/all commands take a longer time the first time of execution (~10-15 secs).  When these commands are subsequently invoked - they respond immediately.

Example:
  * starting bash the first time takes 10 seconds
    starting bash again - gives immediate response.
  * executing ls the first time takes 10 seconds
    executing ls again - gives immediate response.

Im running
  CYGWIN_NT-4.0 VIE7003 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) 2000-06-06 22:20 i686 unknown
on WinNT 4.0 SP3

Any ideas/help ?

Stephan