cygwin poll

Emanuele Aliberti ealiberti@hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 01:38:00 GMT 2000

Andre Oliveira da Costa wrote:

>I created a zero-length file named "aux" in the POSIX subsystem
[omissis]
>This seems like a bug in Windows Explorer, but we can't prevent it
>without avoiding reserved names completely, so that'd be my
>recommendation.

Win32 applications access devices via symbolic links in the executive
namespace (at least under NT), idem PSX applications.

"AUX", if opened by KERNEL32.CreateFile, actually opens \DosDevices\AUX .
"\DosDevices" is actually a link to "\??", and "\??\AUX" is a link to
"\DosDevices\COM1", and finally "\??\COM1" is a link to "\Device\Serial0".
Since file names management is filtered on a subsystem basis (Win32
filtering is different than PSX one), there is no way to access an "AUX"
file created in PSX from a Win32 application (PSXDLL.creat and PSXDLL.open
do not see the "aux" redirected to "\Device\Serial0"; probably they see
"/dev/tty0" as "\Device\Serial0").

A freeware executive's namespace browser is here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/winobj.htm