Openssh 2.3.0p1 weird exec problem, cont.

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Fri Dec 29 13:30:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 03:59:12PM -0500, John Pollock wrote:
> However, i've only seen this issue with non-cygwin apps (like VC++ and
> such) which don't seem to understand how to send output reliably when
> cooperating with a version of ssh using socket pairs instead of pipes.
> The cygwin version of openssh, i believe ,uses socket pairs and not pipes,
> which may be the source of the problem.

That's an interesting point. socket pairs are prefered over pipes in
OpenSSH. Using pipes is a special option. I'm currently on vacation
and need the time for my move to another town. If somebody is willing
to build OpenSSH using pipes and test that situation again I would
gladly appreciate this.

Using pipes instead of socket pairs is easy: After configuring just
open `defines.h', goto line 378 and remove the comments from this
line containing `#define USE_PIPES 1', then make. If that solves the
problem (and still works in all other situations) I will release
a new Cygwin version of OpenSSH then.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.