gethostbyname & uname question, help!

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Fri Dec 29 02:04:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 05:21:00PM +0800, crazyyao wrote:
> I am a green hand in cygwin programming.
> Would someone tell me how to get the network program compiled on cygwin?
>
> I can't find which lib contains the function "uname" and
> the function "gethostbyname" can't return the right value, either.

I don't understand. Both functions are part of the standard
library and are linked in without giving any additional lib
when linking. gethostbynmae returns what Winsock returns
except the given name is a x.x.x.x address in which case
this address is returned.

> Which head file should I include, winsock.h or sys/socket.h?
> What's the differenc between them?

Don't include the winsock headers by yourself when creating a
Cygwin application.

> Which libs should I use?

libcygwin.a which is linked in by default. No commandline switch
necessary.

> Where are they?

/lib

> I used to work on Linux.