new install of cygwin with pdksh doesn't work

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Thu Dec 21 10:46:00 GMT 2000

At 11:46 AM 12/21/2000, David M. Karr wrote:
>   Markus> David M. Karr writes:
>   >> As I still have to work with other applications (Emacs, etc.) which
>   >> will continue to write files with DOS line endings, removing the ^Ms
>   >> is not a practical option, as I'd have to do that constantly.
>
>   Markus> If Emacs is your major concern, stick the following into your .emacs:
>
>   Markus> (setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'undecided-unix)
>
>   Markus> New files will then be unix-style. Works great here.
>
>Emacs is a major concern, but not my only one.  I don't think it's
>practical to try to fix every Windows program to produce Unix line
>endings.  I have to focus on getting Cygwin to work with DOS line
>endings.
>
>My original installation works fine.  When I ran the second
>installation, I think I probably left the "Unix" flag on.  Is it
>conceivable that I'll have to uninstall completely so I can reinstall
>with the "DOS" flag set?  Rerunning it and setting that flag had no
>effect.

David, you should find the background to answer your question in the
Cygwin User's Guide in the sections discussing mounts and the binary/text
issue.  Setting the "DOS" flag in the installation only indicates whether
mount uses the "-b" (binary) flag or not by default.  This applies to all
mounts setup makes as well as the /cgydrive notation.  There's no other
"magic" going on here.

Good luck,